What can I do if I believe the value of my property is incorrect?
Use 1 of 2 ways to challenge the value of your property:
  • You may appeal the "notice of value" of your property by contacting the county Appraiser's Office by phone or in writing by 30 days from the date the notice was mailed and by 15 days from date of notice for personal property
  • You may fill out a "payment under protest" form with the County Treasurer at the time you pay your taxes

Whether you pay half or all of your taxes, you must file by December 20, unless an escrow or tax service agent pays your property taxes, then no later than January 31.

You cannot appeal using both methods for the same property in the same tax year. So, if you start to appeal your "notice of value," be sure that you follow through with the appeal. You will not be allowed to "pay under protest" later.

If you are not satisfied with the results of your appeal at the county level, you may take your case to the Kansas Board of Tax Appeals. For more information on appeals, please contact your local County Appraiser's Office at 785-457-3500.

Show All Answers

1. Why is property taxed in Kansas?
2. What does the County Appraiser do?
3. How does the county's appraisal affect my taxes?
4. Will the value of my home change every year?
5. What is property appraised at?
6. How does the county appraiser determine market value?
7. Does the county appraiser visit my home?
8. If I bought a house last year, should the value be the same as what I paid for it?
9. When will I be notified of the value of my property?
10. How can I determine if the appraisal of my home is accurate?
11. What can I do if I believe the value of my property is incorrect?
12. What is the mill levy and how is it set?
13. Who pays the taxes due on property I sold or purchased?
14. Are property taxes prorated between buyer and seller?
15. How do I calculate the property taxes for real property?