Can another person attend hearings on my behalf?
Someone else may attend the informal meeting with the County Appraiser. However, if the person representing you is not an attorney, you must complete a Declaration of Representation Form (PDF) provided by the County Appraiser.

At a Small Claims Division hearing, the owner of the property under appeal may appear personally or be represented by an attorney. In Addition, the owner may be represented by a certified public accountant, certified appraiser, member of the owner's immediate family, tax representative or an authorized employee by filing a Declaration of Representation form with BOTA.

Generally, BOTA requires that the property owner appear at its hearings, unless represented by an attorney. You may contact BOTA for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What can I do if I believe the value of my property is too high?
2. What Information from the County Appraiser's Office should I request and review in advance?
3. What facts should I bring to a meeting or hearing?
4. What can I expect during an informal meeting with the County Appraiser?
5. What is a BOTA Small Claims Division hearing?
6. What is a Kansas Board of Tax Appeals (BOTA) hearing like?
7. Can another person attend hearings on my behalf?
8. If I bought this property last year, shouldn't the value be the same as what I paid for it?
9. The county must satisfy certain burdens of proof on appeal.