Solar Farm Regulations
September 16, 2021 Draft and Supporting Documents
- Berkley Group Memo to Johnson County Planning Commission
- Berkley Group Presentation to Johnson County Planning Commission
- NextEra Response to Berkley Group
- Public Comment from Johnson County Draft Material
- Draft Amendment from Johnson County Staff
- Douglas County Draft Amendment and Public Comment
- Lazard Study of Levelized Costs of Energy Production
August 5, 2021 Joint Meeting Audio/Visual
August 5, 2021 Meeting Supporting Documents
- Study: Property Value Impacts from Solar Farms
- Study: Ecosystem Services at Solar Facilities in the Midwest
- Study: Acoustic and EMF Levels from Solar Projects
- Guide to Federal Tax Credits
- Health and Safety Impacts of Solar Photovoltaics
- Solar Panels and PFAS Contamination
- Ground-mounted Solar Panel Q&A (Massachusetts)
The Planning Commission is currently working to develop solar farm regulations for Pottawatomie County. A six-month moratorium was passed by the County Commission to allow Staff and Planning Commission time to develop regulations.
The first draft was presented at the March 18, 2021 Planning Commission meeting.
The second draft was presented at the April 15, 2021 Planning Commission meeting.
The third draft was presented at the May 20, 2021 Planning Commission meeting.
Feedback from the public is welcomed for these draft regulations, and a hearing will be held with the Planning Commission to debate their adoption.
Wind Farm Regulations
Tallgrass Heartland Moratorium
Pottawatomie County is currently under a statewide moratorium for commercial wind farm development as part of the Tallgrass Heartland Wind Moratorium. The moratorium was established in 2004, and expanded in 2011 to include Pottawatomie County. The moratorium was reaffirmed in 2020. In the area included in the moratorium, commercial wind projects are prohibited.
Current County Regulations
In addition to the state-level moratorium, the County does have regulations in place on the development commercial wind farms. They are a conditional use in the A1 - Agriculture district. However, these regulations are in need of updates. Following the adoption of solar farm regulations, Staff will begin the process of development wind farm regulations.