Victim Information


If you are a victim of a crime, please report your crime to law enforcement for investigation. After law enforcement investigates your crime, a report will be forwarded to the Pottawatomie County Attorney’s Office for review. The Pottawatomie County Attorney’s Office will notify you by mail if and when charges are filed.

Notification of Hearings

Please be advised that during the COVID-19 pandemic, you will not be able to attend hearings unless you have been subpoenaed and/or you are making a statement at a sentencing hearing. Please review the Pottawatomie County Justice Center (PCJC) reopening plan for further information concerning entry to the PCJC. The Pottawatomie County Attorney’s Office will make every effort to notify you by telephone and/or by mail of each scheduled hearing. If your attendance is required, you will be notified by phone and/or mail and a subpoena to appear in court may be issued for you.

Please make sure the Pottawatomie County Attorney’s Office has your current mailing address and telephone number so that you receive all notification regarding your case.

Filing Orders

If you would like to file a Protection from Abuse Order or a Protection from Stalking Order, please visit the Pottawatomie County District Court on the second floor of the Pottawatomie County Justice Center or call 785-457-3392. The District Court can explain the specifications of each order and provide you with the necessary forms.


If a defendant is ordered to pay restitution, the payments will be sent to the clerk of the District Court. The clerk will then distribute the funds as they receive them.

Crime Victims Compensation

The Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Law was passed to provide victims of violent crimes with compensation for loss of earnings and out-of-pocket medical expenses as a direct result of the incident. Victims of violent crime are eligible for compensation under this statute.

The first step in receiving compensation assistance is to fill out an application with the Crime Victims Compensation Board. An application can also be obtained through the Pottawatomie County Attorney’s Office.